What is Castor oil?
Castor oil is a dense high molecular density vegetable oil. It has been used for centuries as a great natural home remedy for various ailments. Castor oil works on many body systems, such as the immune system, lymphatic, gastrointestinal, and more.
Castor oil pack is an amazing therapeutic experience that involves soaking a cloth in castor oil and placing it directly on the region that you are trying to target for treatment purposes. Using a hot water bottle helps it to penetrate deeper into the skin.
Instructions for making castor oil pack
You can make your own castor oil pack with just a few materials.
Naturopath practitioners recommend finding hexane-free castor oil.
Necessary tools and ingredients:
- Hexane-Free Castor oil
- Unbleached wool or cotton flannel
- Medium container or bowl
- Plastic sheets, such as cling wrap or saran wrap
- Cut your flannel in rectangular pieces (about 12 in x 10 in) You can also cut them depending on how small or large of a region you are trying to target. You need about three to four pieces for a castor oil pack.
- Pour some castor oil in a bowl.
- Put a cloth piece in the oil so it is completely soaked.
- Use tongs to lift the cloth out of the container. It should drip with castor oil.
- Place the soaked cloth on a plastic wrap.
- In the same way soak the other 2-3 pieces of cloth.
- Stack the soaked cloths flat on top of each other.
- Now you have made a castor oil pack.
How to use your castor oil pack.
- Lay down on a large towel or sheet (to catch any drop of castor oil. It’ll be a bit messy).
- Place a castor oil pack in the target treatment area. For example, if you are looking to ease constipation or other indigestion issues, place it directly on your abdominal area.
- Place a small sheet of plastic on your castor oil packet, to keep the castor oil pack in place and to help your skin stay warm.
- If you wish for more heat, you can place a hot water bottle on top of it as well.
- Make sure you don’t fall asleep while doing a castor oil treatment as it can cause burns or other injuries.
- Leave this pack on for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove the pack and wipe the area with a warm damp towel.
- You can keep your castor oil packs in a glass container. Every pack can last up to 30 times of use.
Benefits of Castor Oil Pack
Ricinoleic acid, which is an important ingredient in castor oil, has analgesic properties that can help with sunburns, bug bites, or allergic reactions. Not only that, but it also helps with relaxation.
The anti-inflammatory effects of castor oil can help reduce skin redness, puffiness, and itching.
In addition, castor oil is a good moisturizer and helps to seal in skin’s moisture. It can help alleviate dryness and improve skin’s fine lines and wrinkles.
People sometimes take castor oil internally, as a laxative to help with bowel movements. However, external application of it can also treat constipation.
Pain in the knees, wrists, fingers, and other joints can be caused by rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis. Some people use castor oil packs on painful joints to reduce inflammation and remove blocked fluids that can cause further swelling.
Although there is no medical evidence for the use of castor oil packs in this way, Ricinoleic acid can helps reduce swelling and pain in many joint conditions.
4.Liver and gallbladder health
The liver is an important part of your body for cleansing. It breaks down and gets rid of toxins, old cells, and other waste materials. It makes white blood cells that your immune system requires to fight germs.
The liver makes bile, a digestive fluid, which helps break down fatty foods (called fats) so it can be properly used by the body. Bile flows from your liver into the gallbladder and is stored until needed for food digestion.
Some naturopaths recommend castor oil pack directly on the liver area, to help it get cleansed and work optimally.
Castor oil is used to support the health of the ovaries and uterus. It improves overall fertility. And it also helps with reducing fibroids and cysts.
Castor oil is used to help increase lymphatic circulation. Stagnant lymph can cause lymphoma node swelling. Castor oil pack helps with moving lymph fluid’s toxins out of the body.
Castor oil has been shown to reduce inflammation in the body. Swelling is often at the root many chronic diseases today. Therefore, this therapeutic treatment is a great way to feel better and work on eliminating inflammation
Castor oil has been used in various ways to help the stomach. It helps with constipation, gets rid of nausea, and improves digestion (when placed on the abdomen).
8.The Immune system
Castor oil has been shown to boost the immune system, especially increasing the T lymphocytes, due to its anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties.
It helps with migraines. To relieve the symptoms of migraines and headaches, apply and massage a teaspoon of oil on your forehead for one minute. You will start to feel its effects within few minutes!
Castor oil pack has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, which makes it a wonderful at-home remedy to take care of everyday ailments.